The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) Delta State Axis, is the apex body governing all Nigerian Students studying in all citadel of learning across the 14 Institutions in the state.
The leadership of NANS received with displeasure, the closure and temporary shutting down of Academic activities of the Delta State Polytechnic Otefe-Oghara by her management without considering the burdens of the Nigerian Students and her guidance/parents.
The Nigerian Students over time have always been at the receiving end without considering the elongation of tenants hostel fee, age addition etc, while the Nigerian Students are yet to recover from the COVID-19 break and ASUP Nationwide strike, it is disheartening, and quite pathetic that the host community have decided to toe the path of making the Institution unbearable for our students with the tag of Community Youth Crash.
The Leadership of NANS wish to state unequivocally that the Polytechnic Community is an independent community of it’s own, hence it’s affairs should not be determined by the host community. The Leadership also wish to register her grievance over the conduct of the Nigerian Army on the path toed by shooting a Nigerian Students who is reportedly receiving medical attention in one of the health facilities in the State.
It is on this note that the leadership of Nigerian Students after intensive and wide consultations with relevant stakeholders, critical, foot and field soldiers of the Nigerian Students Movement wish to state without fear or favour as follows;
1) That His Excellency, the Governor of Delta State should as a matter of necessity declare a state of emergency in the host community and also instruct the Honourable Commissioner for Works, for the immediate fencing of Delta State Polytechnic Otefe-Oghara with adequate funding.
2) That the leadership of NANS Delta State is reliably informed that the host community is the community of incumbent sitting State and Federal Legislators, hence we wish to register our displeasure and dissatisfaction over there non-challant attitudes towards the community youth crash that has been lingering for a while, which has landed to the temporarily closure of our Institution and we wish to bring to their notice that the needful is expected of them, before Nigerian Students will loose confidence in them.
3) That the Leadership of NANS condemns in totality the ugly incidence that transpired on Tuesday 24th August 2021, which led to the temporary closure of our Institution and calls for the management and State Government to beef up the security in our Institutions.
4) That all arrested and detained Students who were arrested on the prime of suspects/allegations should be released immediately and unconditionally as no Student(s) were caught in the act of what transpired on Tuesday in the classroom after independent investigation on or before 7 working days, else the leadership of NANS would not hesitate to use all legally drastic measures to press home our demands.
5) That the Leadership of NANS is keenly following up what actually transpired on Tuesday and has set-up an investigative independent 7-Man Committee to work closely with security apparatus and to ensure that the perpetrators of such disastrous acts are brought to book.
6) The leadership of NANS wish to appreciate the students of Delta State Polytechnic Otefe-Oghara for being resolute, steadfast and committed in their academic pursuit while we reaffirm them of our unflinching and unwavering support, we wish to notify them that their welfare and interest remains our outmost priority and they should exercise a little patience with the management as they will be back on campus in no distant time.
7) That the leadership of NANS Delta State, urges the management to call her staff to order; to choose between community position and staff of the Polytechnic.
Conclusively, the leadership of NANS Delta State wish to appreciate the office of the Senior Special Assistant and Special Assistants to His Excellency on students affairs for their commitment in our struggles, and also we wish to appreciate the Nigerian Police Force, the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps and all other security agencies for having the interests of Nigerian Students at heart. While we call on the Commissioner of Police, Delta State Command to ensure that peace and tranquility is served in no distant time.
COMR. MADJEMITE PRECIOUS
COMR. EPECHI BRIGHT
Executive Governor of Delta State.
Commissioner for Higher Education
Commissioner of Police, Nigerian Police Force (NPF) Delta State Command.
Director, Department of State Security (DSS) Delta State Command.
Senior Special Assistant to the Governor On Students Affairs.
Chairman, Oghara Community
Rector, Delta State Polytechnic Otefe-Oghara.
SUG Delta State Polytechnic Otefe-Oghara.
NUJ, Delta State